It happened with too much of a bang.
The Rocket City Trash Pandas’ firework show went horribly wrong Friday night when a certain product was “incorrectly inserted and secured into its holder,” according to a statement from the spectacle’s organizer, Pyro Shows of Alabama.
The Los Angeles Angels affiliate team said no fans were injured from the incident, though video from the event shows fireworks going off directly at fans sitting on a grassy hill.
Screams could be heard in the footage as fans ran away from the spray. A viewer in the stands, who was away from the hill getting pummeled by fireworks, murmured “oh my god” at the sight.
The Pandas said via Twitter after the debacle that every fireworks show is supervised by the Madison Fire and Rescue Departments.
“All parties are taking extreme precautions to ensure that this does not happen again,” Rocket City posted on Twitter. “The fireworks vendor adamantly expressed that this has never happened before in over 30 years of their experience.”
The Pandas won the Friday game against the Tennessee Smokies 4-1 before the chaos unfolded.